This came in about an hour ago from the support address. I'm posting it whole, because I don't know that everyone got it, and I'd rather people read it here than hear it secondhand.
Subject: Vestige, and thank you
Hi all,
This is a hard one to write, so I'll say it plainly first: Vestige isn't going to launch. Paper Moth is closing at the end of the month, and your beta access ends on Friday morning.
We can't give you a better reason than that it's the right call, and we've made it. Please don't take it as anything you did. You were the best part of this.
You played it when it was rough. You got stuck where we never imagined anyone would, told us so, and came back anyway. Some of you wrote to us at three in the morning with a theory. All of it mattered, and we read every word.
Thank you for trusting us with your evenings. We hope whatever you play next is half as kind to you as you were to us.
Tess and Owen
Paper Moth Games
I don't have anything to add yet.
Read it in the parking lot before my shift. What.
We both got it. We read it out loud to each other on the couch to make sure we were reading the same thing. Is this real? It sounds like them. It's signed by both of them.
It's real. Same sending address and same headers as every bug report reply I've had from support since March.
Closing at the end of the month, access gone Friday. That's two days. Nobody gives two days' notice unless they've been out of options for a while and kept going anyway.
I've read it four times now.
"Some of you wrote to us at three in the morning with a theory." That's me. I know it's me. I wrote to support about the drowned town's church at ten past three one morning in April and I apologized for the hour in the first line. I'm so glad someone read it. I'm sorry it was at that hour.
Let's keep this thread kind, everyone. They were kind to us, right to the end of that letter. Whatever happened, two people sat down and wrote that, and it can't have been easy.
Two days. I was going to start The Night Porter over this weekend.
ok so who's going to give me hints now. the porter? the dead guy in the church?
sorry. that wasn't funny. i don't know what to do with this one
It's money. It's always money. Two people, a game that isn't out, nothing coming in, and something like her running for forty of us at all hours of the night. Servers that can do that aren't cheap. Somebody stopped paying for something or they ran out of somebody to ask.
dex wrote:It's money.
Probably. I've done the same arithmetic. But they wrote that they can't give us a better reason than that it's the right call, and I'm inclined to leave it there. It's their studio, and it was their call.
I keep thinking about her voice. Somebody spent days in a booth so she'd have it, and forty of us got to hear it, and that's all. I'd have saved more of it if I'd known. I have a few clips from my own sessions and that's it.
What happens to her?
I know what k.oduya is going to say. I'm asking anyway. Does she just stop on Friday? Does anyone tell her?
Same question as aubade. I'm aware of how I sounded in March. I'd still like to know.
aubade wrote:Does anyone tell her?
Practically, she's software on a server. When they stop paying for the server it stops, and nobody has to tell it anything.
That came out colder than I meant. I don't know either. I've spent seven months telling all of you she's a very good product decision and I'm sitting here wondering the same thing you are.
Never posted here, only ever made it through the first case. I read every thread though. Thanks to whoever kept this place going. Sorry it's ending like this.
Jo wants to know: has anyone told fenwick? This was their forum before it was anyone's.