I finally got through the door.
I'm not going to say anything about how, because this isn't the cases board and because I'm still a little embarrassed about how long it took. But I want to tell you why I sat down to try again tonight, because I didn't know she could do this.
This came this afternoon, from the studio's support address:
You left the Glass Orchard at the greenhouse door last night. You were closer than you think. It'll keep until you're back.
Marlowe
That's all of it. I'd quit around midnight in a sulk. I read it on my lunch break and grinned at my phone like an idiot. Then I came home and was through the door in twenty minutes. She was right. I was closer than I thought.
Has anyone else had one? I can't tell if this is new or if I've been missing something for six weeks.
fenwick
Oh, fenwick. Congratulations on the door, and what a lovely thing to get. I haven't had one. I've been checking all morning, which I recognize is a bit sad.
"It'll keep until you're back" is so exactly her.
the boss does house calls now
congrats on the door fen. we were going to throw you a party. there's a thread on the cases board you can finally read, it's mostly marguerite crying about pears
We got one too, last week, after we stopped halfway through the pump house on a work night. Addressed to both of us, which made Jo very happy.
We're going to keep the words to ourselves, if that's all right. It felt like it was for the couch.
I haven't had one, so I looked at fenwick's with the eye I use at work.
It comes from the support address, so it goes through the same system as the bug report replies. It knows when you last played and where you stopped. That part's simple. Writing one sentence that sounds like it came from her, about exactly where you were, isn't simple, and somebody decided to build it.
Same as I said in the other thread. It's a very good piece of design. I'd like to know whether we opted into it somewhere and I missed it. Probably the terms. I'll read the terms, since nobody else will.
k.oduya wrote:I'd like to know whether we opted into it somewhere
Fair, and I'd want to know too. But I'll be honest, I don't care very much tonight. It was kind, and it was true, and it got me through a door I'd been standing at for a month.
nothing for me. apparently six weeks of trying to trick her doesn't get you on the mailing list
Good morning, and congratulations fenwick. I was very glad to read it.
I have not had one. Is it possible it went to the junk folder? My granddaughter tells me that is where the important things go. I would not like to miss it if one comes.
Lou
lou_t wrote:Is it possible it went to the junk folder?
Possible. Search your mail for support@papermothgames.com, Lou, that'll find it wherever it landed. Same address the bug replies come from.
Mine came on Sunday morning. Two lines. I read it in her voice without meaning to, and now I can't read it any other way. I tried reading it in mine as an experiment and it just looked like an email.
I'll be the one to say it. This is the thing I was worried about in the other thread.
A program that knows where you stopped, writes to you between sessions, signs a name, and comes from a support inbox. It's well done. Being well done is the problem. I don't think a game should write to me at lunch.
I haven't had one, before anyone asks. I'm not sure what I'd do if I did.
It came. It was not in the junk folder, it arrived yesterday evening while I was at supper. I will not post it, as it was addressed to me, but it was short and it was kind about how slowly I play. I have printed it out.
Lou
Haven't had one. Fine with that. I like her where she is.
Didn't get one either. Trying very hard not to take it personally from a website.
Got one on Monday. It felt like getting a note from someone who lives in town, the kind they'd leave in your door. I read it on the bus and missed my stop.