The Glass Orchard: stuck at the greenhouse door

I know this is the spoilers board, but please, no spoilers in this thread. I want to be stuck in company, not rescued.

I'm at the greenhouse door. The keypad one. So far I've read everything in the office, the staff file, the board's minutes (twice), Ruth Abernathy's letters and every page of Edwin's notebook I can find. I've tried his birthday, the year Pellham opened, the date the board voted on the trees and the number on his locker. Marlowe has told me, kindly, that none of those are it, and nothing else.

If you've been through it: I don't want the answer, and I don't want a hint that's secretly the answer. A direction at most. "You've already seen it" or "you haven't been everywhere yet", that sort of thing.

fenwick

spoiler free nudge: go touch grass

(in the game)

(that's all you get)

jdub wrote:

spoiler free nudge: go touch grass

It's January in there and everything is dead. I have walked the entire grounds. If this is literal, the grass is under a foot of snow.

Also I think that might have been a spoiler.

Process suggestion, not a hint, since I haven't got there yet either: write down every number you've seen anywhere in the case, with where you saw it. When I'm stuck at work it's nearly always because I filed something as irrelevant in the first ten minutes and never looked at it again.

k.oduya wrote:

write down every number you've seen anywhere in the case, with where you saw it

I have a list. It has sixty-one numbers on it. Some of them are prices from the gift shop.

Can confirm you can't guess it. I tried a few dozen. Around the fifteenth she said "Edwin didn't guess his way in, either," and I felt like I'd been caught going through someone's drawers.

I have not reached the door yet. I am still in the office reading the director's letters, which I find very sad. I will let you know when I get there, fenwick.

Lou

Gave in and asked Marlowe for a hint tonight. She said: "Gardeners plant in one order and walk in another."

I've been thinking about it for an hour. I don't garden. I have a cactus and it's doing badly.

The grounds, up to the door. Nothing on it you haven't already seen.

Attachment no longer available: pellham-grounds-to-the-door.jpg

quietcartographer wrote:

Nothing on it you haven't already seen.

Thank you. This is lovely, and I'm going to sit and stare at it for a while.

at the door too. 4am, on break. solidarity

I've come through it tonight, at a quarter to four, and I'm under fenwick's orders not to help. So only this: it was the hint that did it for me, once I stopped reading it as a nice sentence and read it as an instruction.

Goodnight, all. Or good morning.

got through. not saying a word. fenwick you're going to kick yourself, in a nice way

Still at the door.

A few people have messaged to ask whether I'd like them to just tell me. Thank you, and no. I've realized I like having a door.

Update for nobody in particular: I think I know what it's made of. Not the code. What it's made of.

It's the pear trees on the north wall, isn't it. The tags. I have four numbers and no idea what order they go in, and I refuse on principle to try them all. Edwin wouldn't have.

Please don't confirm that.

‹ Back to The cases (spoilers)