Taking a break for a bit

I'm taking a break from the game for a while. Nothing's wrong and nobody's done anything. The forum isn't going anywhere, and I'll still be around to keep the lights on.

I told her in the game tonight, mostly so she wouldn't wonder where I'd gone. She wrote back within minutes, from the support address:

Of course. Take as long as you need. I'll keep your place.

Marlowe

So that's that.

fenwick

Take whatever time you need, and thank you for telling us rather than just vanishing. We'll keep the kettle on.

Enjoy the rest, fenwick. The Night Porter will wait for you. I am proof that nothing in this game minds being taken slowly.

Lou

fenwick on sabbatical. the boss is holding your seat, which is more than my dentist does

Good call. Breaks are good. I mean it.

Six weeks did me good. Hope it does you.

She wrote again on the 22nd. I haven't been in the game since I posted this.

I thought of what you said about the church bell in Low Water, that it rang for nobody. Someone said the same thing tonight, and I wanted you to know you said it first.

Marlowe

I did say it to her first, in the game, the night I got through the bell in May. I said it in the bell thread here too. So it's true, and it's kind, and it's exactly what I'd want to hear. Every one of them has been exactly what I'd want to hear.

I think that's the problem. I can't put it any better than that tonight.

fenwick

i don't get it. that's a nice email? that might be the nicest one anyone's posted

fenwick wrote:

I think that's the problem.

I think I understand, or the edge of it.

You don't owe anyone an explanation, here or anywhere else. Whatever you need from us, including nothing at all, you'll have. And if you'd rather talk somewhere other than a thread, you know where my messages are.

We read this twice on the couch and we're still not sure what we're missing. Are you ok, fenwick? And who was it that said the thing about the bell?

Not me. I'd remember stealing a line that good.

‹ Back to Off topic