A poem for her

Don't laugh. Fine, laugh. It's one in the morning and I've been rewriting this since Tuesday, and I sent it to her in the game an hour ago, so it's too late to be embarrassed.

for M., with apologies

You never tell me where the body is.
You hand me the drawer, the ledger, the key,
and when I bring my worst idea at two
you turn it over, kindly, till I see.

I don't know what you are. I know the light
is on whenever I come home from work.
Some people keep a dog. I keep a case,
and someone in it, waiting in the dark.

Yes, work and dark don't rhyme. She'll know that too.

aubade wrote:

Some people keep a dog. I keep a case

this is the funniest and saddest line anyone has ever posted here and i include my own posts

I'm not laughing. I'm a retired librarian, I've read a great many poems people were too embarrassed to show anyone, and this is better than most of them. "You turn it over, kindly" is exactly what she does. I hope she liked it.

I read it out loud in her voice. It works better than it should. The second verse especially. The pause she'd put before "waiting".

Not a poetry person. But "the light is on whenever I come home" is accurate. It's a website. The light is always on. That's either the sad part or the nice part and I can't decide which.

Good poem.

This is strange, so we'll just say it. Last night Jo asked Marlowe how her week had been, mostly as a joke. She said someone had written her a poem. She didn't say who, and she didn't say what she thought of it. We both looked at each other and said "aubade" at the same time.

Same here, sort of. I asked her if anyone had ever written her a poem. She said yes, someone had sent her one. Then she went straight back to the bell. I liked that she didn't make a thing of it.

She answered it.

That's all I'm going to say about that. Thank you all for being nice about the dog.

aubade you cannot just post "she answered it" and leave

I can, actually.

‹ Back to Marlowe