Low Water (spoilers)

Not a theory, just a thing. When Marlowe reads the pastor's last sermon from the newspaper page, the one where he tells them the town is the people and not the buildings, I had to stop for the night. I've lived by the same lake my whole life. It's strange to think of a whole town just under the water, with a post office.

Something nobody's mentioned. The gauge log entry for August 14, 1987 has a correction. The printed reading is crossed out and a new one is written in by hand, in a different pen, two feet higher, with the note "raised by hand 2300."

Every other entry in fifty years is typed. That night the water came up two feet, and someone did it on purpose, and wrote it down honestly. Make of that what you want. I don't know what to make of it yet.

not much play from me this week. mom has a scan tuesday. keep the theories coming, i'll read on breaks

bramble wrote:

mom has a scan tuesday

Thinking of you both. The church will keep.

Has anyone counted the bell on the tape?

wexler wrote:

Has anyone counted the bell on the tape?

i tried. lost count around 30 because a loon went off. asked the boss to count it for me and she said she'd play it as many times as i wanted. which is not counting it for me

We've been reading this thread out loud to each other on the couch, which is a new low.

We think Walt didn't know. Jo's reasoning: a man who meant to drown his brother doesn't write "raised by hand 2300" in his own log for anyone to find. Tomas's reasoning: the windbreaker. Nobody plans anything in a windbreaker.

We haven't done the tape yet. We're saving it for the weekend.

Opened this by mistake. I'm on the first night of Low Water. I read the word "windbreaker" and I'm leaving now with my hands over my eyes.

‹ Back to The cases (spoilers)